Thursday, May 31, 2012

Loneliness is a funny thing

Today, I went to Busch Gardens with one of my dear friends and had a wonderful time. There were so many things I would've written about, but one little seemingly insignificant part of my day, really struck me. :) So here goes nothin'.

     When I was waiting in line to ride Apollo's Chariot, I observed a cute couple. This couple in their late teens, was your typical, mushy-gushy teenage couple. She was a short, bubbly, blond, and he, a tall, tan, gorgeous athlete. They were "the perfect couple". As I stood there I couldn't help but overhear their conversation. She used the typical "I'm scared. I'm so sorry if I grab your arm during the ride" technique. Of course, he grinned and replied with a response along the lines of  "Sure, Don't worry. You have me with you". And they laughed and he grabbed her hand, as happy as could be.
 
     And here I, a fifteen year old freshman, have feelings bubble to the surface. They've always been there. Listening to this brief interchange sparked a loneliness in me. Just like every other person that has ever lived, the battle rages in my heart. There really is no reason for me to feel lonely. I have a wonderful church, great friends and an awesome family that surround me continually. While standing in this line, I was reminded of how my flesh can cry out for companionship. Of how, sometimes, I just want someone to hold my hand and tell me they'd stay with me.
   
     Our society continually tells us that we need a lover to feel complete. There's nothing wrong with having a person to love. That is not what I'm saying, just to be clear. That feeling of loneliness, if you don't have a special someone, can destroy you. Loneliness can cross the line to self-pity oh-so easily.
   
      In that hot, crowded line I came to somewhat of an....what do they call it??.. epiphany.. yes that's a good word. Probably just a big term for an idea, if you ask me. I realized that I have no right to pity myself. Look at the cross. Christ died for me and took all my sin and shame and here I am complaining about "being alone" or obsessing about the future. By dwelling on these feelings, I lose sight of my heavenly father.    
   
     I really don't even mean to have these feelings. I want to focus solely on Christ at this point in my life. In these weak moments of loneliness, I want to remember God. Maybe God places those lonely moments just to say, "Hey,you're lonely? I'm right here. Stop searching in the wrong place for acceptance. I love you more than any friend or lover could. Look to me, child".


Christ is my treasure and I am His. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great reminder! thanks for sharing, I know a lot of people, including myself struggle with this sometimes! But Christ is sufficient and he is all we need to bring us satisfaction and joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really helps me to remember that Jesus was the only perfect man who ever walked the earth, and He loves me much more that anyone else could. Love you, Cat!

    ReplyDelete